How To Choose The Perfect Bike For Your Triathlon
Part of your triathlon training must include riding on the bike you plan to race with. Wearing the same clothes and using the same equipment is the best way to ensure that you will be physically comfortable and prepared for the race. Before you begin training, you should be sure to have all the proper equipment and clothes. One item that you should take some time with in order to get the best one for you is a triathlon bike.
Where To Go
In order to find the best triathlon bikes, the following are a few places you can look.
A specific triathlon store. Not only can you get your bike at a triathlon store, but you could probably get your biking clothes, including shoes and a helmet.
A sports store. Many sports stores sell a variety of different triathlon items, including bikes. If they don’t have what you are looking for, they may be able to order it in for you.
A bike shop. Bike shops typically have bikes for any occasion and you should be able to find a nice triathlon bike there.
The internet. Of course you can’t try the bike out if it is online, but if you already know exactly what you want, you could find it online and have it shipped to you.
What To Know
When you go shopping for your triathlon bike, the sales associates might ask you some specific questions. There is some important information that you should know in order to get the best bike for the race.
– What type of race are you competing in? Is it an Ironman contest or a sprint triathlon?
– What is your goal? To be the fastest or to simply complete the race?
– What distance are you riding?
– How long and how vigorously do you plan to train?
– What is the terrain like? Are you going to be going up and down hills, across flat terrain, on cement, or through rough and rocky areas?
– How much can you afford?
– Are there any health or other physical problems that might provide restrictions in the way you ride?
As you answer these questions and give the information to the sales associate that you are working with, they should be able to direct you to the perfect bike for the triathlon.
– Because you are competing in a triathlon, there are some special considerations that you should remember when buying your bike.
– Get a bike that is lightweight and made out of carbon fiber materials.
– Be sure that the proper tires are on the bike and always have a spare or two, just in case. Don’t forget to learn how to change a tire.
– Get the right shoes. Biking shoes should have a stiff sole. Triathlon specific bike shoes will have a Velcro strap, providing greater ease in transition.
– Wear the right clothes. Bike shorts with chamois padding will be the most comfortable for the biking portion of your race.
Being prepared to purchase the right bike will help you to be the most prepared for the triathlon itself. Discover what you need, try out a few different bikes, and start training.